Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Weather Tree

Yesterday evening we set up our weather tree (from All Year Round, page 122). Finally! This is something I've been wanting to do with the kids for a long time. I chose the color key in advance; I want the tree to develop from blue to green to yellow to orange to red to purple (clockwise from bottom left) when it is all done. So I chose colors to help make that happen and which represent the feelings of the seasons. I took a "before" photo and hopefully we will keep up with it and there will be an "after" photo in June of 2008 to compare it to! My color choices (in case you also have a box of Lyra Color Giants) are

Sun - Red - 90027

Rain - Green - 90070

Snow - Blue - 90051

Mist - Yellow - 90007

Wind - Orange - 90013

Frost - Purple - 90038

Birthday - Pink - 90032


And the border is green construction paper (90067). I would recommend if you're as anal retentive as I am that you sketch out your palette on some blank paper first to make sure that the colors are a pleasing combination, and then assign each color to its type of weather. I put a lot of effort into this -- sure hope it turns out great!

Today is our field trip to the Calvert Marine Museum to see some of the fish and other animals that live in the Bay. The kids have been asking me questions about what lives down at the beach, since we've been playing there so much, so I think this is the perfect way to answer them. It also goes well with our Summer theme.

No comments: