Thursday, August 16, 2007

Heart Disease

Note: Don't read this if you're also having a bad day and don't want to listen to someone else ranting. I'm not a wellspring of positive energy at the moment.


Studies show that holding on to stress, anger, and depression, instead of having the skills to self-soothe and let things go, leads to higher rates of heart disease. In other words, I'm killing myself by being nasty and negative. Great. Something else to feel guilty about -- that it's not healthy to feel guilty all the time! Something else to not let go off -- the fact that I have a hard time letting go of things! Am I the only one who is wondering why nothing in the world makes sense???

I don't know if blogging makes stress worse or better. On the one hand, if you write it down you've taken it out of your mind and put it on paper. This is why journaling is supposed to be healthy according to therapists. On the other hand, people like me who revisit their blog posts are, I'm guessing, continually reliving the feelings each time and therefore not letting them go.

I don't have very good self-soothing skills. In fact I'm currently an emotional wreck. So if you don't have anything nice to say to me, please don't write to me at all. It is not my responsibility to provide the world with free advice. If you would like to help me stay home with my kids by hiring me as a consultant, I am happy to share all the resources in my computer, in my library, and in my heart and mind.

And to those of you who have taken the time to write to me personally with your support -- THANK YOU.

By the way, I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world who is struggling with stress, so here is a wonderful book:





I also try taking walks (being out of the house does wonders for me), dancing, singing, even doing housework (especially repetitive things like scrubbing the floor and folding laundry) for combating stress.

I cheerfully recommend the Yoga Booty Ballet workouts but I realize that buying DVDs to work out with isn't for everyone. However, I feel much less stressed on days when I take the time to exercise with these tapes.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my personal little dark corner of the world.

I'm going outside to color with sidewalk chalk.

No comments: