Sunday, August 19, 2007

Peach Festival

Yesterday was the Peach Festival at the church. I scored big at the yard sale tables! First I found a 18 x 24 inch Strathmore drawing pad, which I snagged for Natalie for 50 cents. She's REALLY into drawing right now and spends every naptime with her blank sketchpads and tin of colored pencils. Next I found a must-own book for every family: Juggling for the Complete Klutz. :-) I bartered that down to a nickel! Even though Natalie is going off to school, there are still a lot of things that I want her to be doing at this age which I'm not sure they are going to cover. Things like skipping rope and learning to ride a bike (more about that later), horseback riding lessons, watercolor painting, juggling, and so on.

And then we hit the mother lode. A bike for $2.00. Natalie, Leah, and Rebecca have never owned a bike or a trike. They've ridden on tricycles when visiting friends and it was on my wish list but not that high up... just an idle thought. However I had a friend insist to me that every kid should have a bike and so when I saw this one I called Steve over to it to see if it was the right size for her. It was. And we happened to have a box of child safety helmets at home (I didn't know this, Steve said it was left in the garage when we bought the house) as well as a set of training wheels. So two dollars later, and some air in the tires, Natalie was wheeling around on her new pink bike with a pink and purple helmet.

Add that to the library card from Friday and I can hardly believe it. She's not a baby anymore -- I knew that -- but she's not a little kid either. She's a big kid!

No comments: