Saturday, September 8, 2007

Cutting the Window

This afternoon I finished sewing the last of the puppet storage pockets on the back of the puppet theater. Then it was time to cut out the window for the "stage." I was really nervous... if I sew a crooked seam or make a wonky fabric choice, those are things that are easily fixable. But once you take your scissors and cut a hole in something you can never put it back the way it was. I ended up using a rotary cutting grid (18 x 24 inches) as my template, laid the theater down flat and with the edges all lined up, put the grid where I wanted the hole to be, and cut around it. This way I hope the edges are relatively straight. I am absolutely terrible at sewing in a straight line with nice even stitches (I always remember Laura Ingalls complaining about how jealous she was that Mary could sew in such a nice straight line and her seams went all over the place). Then I found some beautiful claret-colored pure silk binding in my stash of vintage sewing notions so I am putting that on the raw edge all around the window. Next it will be time to figure out the logistics of the stage curtains and if I want to do a backdrop. I put a line of 7 huge vintage coat buttons (also from my stash from Aunty) along the bottom of the theater. It is looking so cute.

1 comment:

Truffula said...

Wow! The kids will have so much fun with this! Storage pockets on the back are a very practical idea.

I have fond memories of the puppet theater my mother made for us.