Thursday, September 27, 2007

McGrane Family Harvest Arts Weekend

Well, we won't be going to Ohio tomorrow; Leah woke up at 4:30 this morning screaming and writhing in pain, saying that her stomach hurt. Then she developed a fever. The pediatrician and I were both concerned that it may be appendicitis but he examined her and said, no, it looks like it is a variation of the virus that just hit Natalie. So we are keeping her home under close surveillance for additional signs. I was very upset at first, on missing out on our Taproot experience, but then I realized that I could turn that frown upside down & make it into something positive. We can have our own family harvest arts weekend! Especially since we have had a hard time homeschooling lately with people being sick. So this is the plan, based loosely on what Barbara will be doing at hers:

Friday afternoon - Calvert County Fair
(Natalie gets a 1/2 day of school Friday because it is Family Day at the Fair and kids get in for free, plus we can see the project her class submitted)

Saturday morning - Dyeing wool with natural dyes
Making lanterns for evening festival

Saturday afternoon - Wool felting a ball
Making dinner from garden to table

Saturday evening - Harvest/Michaelmas Festival and Lantern Walk

Sunday morning - Decorating the yard with pumpkins and mums
Planting bulbs (tulip, daffodil, crocus, fritillaria)

Sunday afternoon - Making applesauce


I hope this is a lot of fun for the kids! I know that Natalie's class did Life on a Farm as their theme for this week, as part of getting ready for the Fair, and that next week they are all supposed to bring in apples on Monday.

I bought 48 bags of bulbs today (unfortunately they weren't yet on clearance, which I found out when I went up to the register, but I got them anyway. When we bought this house last April I assumed we had just missed the show but this Spring I discovered that there are no flowers at all in our yard! How can you know that Winter is over without the crocus?). What a show that will be!

No comments: