Saturday, September 1, 2007

Pirate Party

More changes in the air...

Natalie got invited to her classmate's Pirate Party today. The invitations had gone out a while ago but since Natalie joined the class late, Bryce's mom didn't know she was part of the group. So we got a last-minute phone call yesterday saying I didn't know she was in the class, I'm so sorry for the late notice but we'd like her to come. I freaked out thinking where am I going to find a pirate gift at this hour? I turned to New Knits on the Block which has a nice pirate bathtime set, thinking I could whip up an eyepatch, but Natalie said that her friend wouldn't like that. Next I called my mother, who always gives us gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins in our Christmas stocking, to see if she already had some on hand but no reply. While I was racing around like the proverbial headless chicken, N was sitting calmly on the sofa and remarked to me, "I think Bryce would like some clay." Clay! We have that! So I went down to my homeschool supply room, found a 5 lb block of clay that hadn't yet been opened, and this morning we are going to wrap it up. We also plan to paint his birthday card. I bought a bunch of boxes of Strathmore Watercolor Greeting Cards for just this sort of occasion. I hope he likes it!

To get Natalie in a pirate-y sort of mood this morning (she didn't know what a pirate was) I read her The Horrendous Hullabaloo by Margaret Mahy. What a fun way to start the day.







P.S. If you are developing an alphabet to teach your children this year, I highly recommend this book. She uses "P" alliteration throughout, not to mention the fact that a parrot can be drawn in the shape of the P (see front cover, just tuck the wings in a bit).

No comments: