Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Corn Grinding

I am happy to say that we successfully ground some cornmeal today! At first the grind was set to be too fine and the children could hardly turn the handle it was so tough but we adjusted it to be a bit coarser and all went well. Natalie is taking the mill in tomorrow to share with her friends at show and tell.

One of the ladies on the waldorfcurriculum-supplies Yahoo group posted ISO This is the Way We Wash-a-Day by Mary Thienes-Schunemann and I went downstairs to grab my copy, thinking we could sell it. (I have SO many Waldorf books in my library that I have been selling a few here and there, mainly if people post on the group that they are searching high and low for it.) As I was flipping through to see if there were any pencil marks, I started noticing what a great collection of songs it is, and made the decision to hold onto it. There are so many resources that I have that are wonderful if used to their fullest potential (like Seven Times the Sun) and the fact that I haven't used them is not their fault. It is torture for me to sell any of my books anyway, since I look at them and I see not paper and ink, but a whole host of potential family memories and a happy rich childhood for my children. Anyway, amazing to discover that there is a Corn Grinding Song (#13) in this collection! Here is the complete list of 59.

Mary's book does come with accompanying CD so I urge you to spring for this one if you are starting out with Waldorf preschool/kindy and you need a book giving you a variety of songs to sing with your children throughout the day & helping you establish rhythms in your family AND you can't read music. I feel this is the most versatile and useful of her song collections. It's also nice to have the CD so you don't have to be able to read music to learn the songs, as is the case with most Waldorf resources (like the Wynstones Kindergarten series). If you can read music, I would recommend Seven Times the Sun over this one -- for a new family -- since it includes a lot of the philosophy and how-to behind establishing rhythms & I think it is a wonderful book for parent inner work when you're starting out.

Traditional Work Songs
    She'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain
    Erie Canal
    Whoo-Pee Ti Yi Yo
    The Blacksmith
    Pick a Bale of Cotton
    The Carpenter
    Mother's A-Weaving
    Cobbler, Cobbler
    Pat on the Railway
    Manamolela
    Haul Away, Joe
    Land of the Silver Birch
    Corn Grinding Song
    Have You Ever Seen a Farmer?
    'Round the Mulberry Bush


Household Songs
    This is the Way We Wash-a-Day
    Dusty the Gnome
    Working Day
    Washin' Woolies
    Sweeping Song
    My Castle
    Let's Tidy Up!


In the Garden
    Oh, When I Go a-Ploughing
    Growing Song
    It's Fun to Dig Potatoes
    Little Watering Can
    Little Red Wagon
    The Farmer in the Dell
    Fairies of Water, Fire, Air & Earth


In the Kitchen
    Vegetable Soup
    Shortnin' Bread
    Chop, Chop, Chippety Chop
    Sweet Potato Pie
    Muffin Man
    Kitchen Cries
    Let's Set the Table


Taking Care of Yourself
    Warm Water
    Warm Hands, Warm
    Better Out Than In
    Brush Your Teeth
    You Wake Up in the Morning
    Little Piggies in the Barn
    Uh Oh!
    Button Up!
    Mouse Nests
    Golden Starlight


Activity Songs
    A Painting Song
    Help Me Wind My Ball of Wool
    Folding Song
    The Thread Follows the Needle


Special Times
    Good Morning Glory!
    Lovely Sunshine
    Sana, Sana
    Peace Blessing
    We Are Hungry
    Johnny Appleseed
    Hebridian Lullaby
    Tessa's Lullaby
    Angel of Mine




No comments: