Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Melancholic

One of the qualities of the melancholic is a love of lists and charts.

Sound like anyone you know?

I've obviously spent the entire day worrying about this and the P word looms large (perfect). It's a work I'm trying to break my addiction to... unsuccessfully. In my case, having a vast number of curriculum resources works against me. Should I go with Live Ed? With Spiritual Syllabus? Oak Meadow is out, that's not even an option. I bought all three so I could look through them and compare each and I love different things about the 2. Alan Whitehead's diagrams of blocks (a school year made up of 12 3-week blocks, 3 subjects each block consisting of Head, Heart, and Hands) is so precise and orderly that it calls to me. Plus, I'm thinking I could run it as a 12 month school year, January through December. Do some form drawing now, since we began it, then move into making Christmas gifts and so on, and begin with Alan's set of blocks in January. Tell the school system that we're doing a calendar year plan. I'm tortured trying to figure out his 36 block system -- if anyone has La Pleroma please write to me and put me out of my misery! I began to play around with it, using the blocks I indicated before, but I want to "get it right." AARGH. Isn't putting Waldorf guilt behind me supposed to be one of the goals?

Going to sleep now and we'll do our next form tomorrow regardless.

The big problem is that I spend too much time reading about how to do this right and, by virtue of the fact that I'm off in a muddle and not spending time with my kids, I'm doing it wrong anyway! Gotta get off the computer and out of this head space (it was really fun and positive while I was brainstorming books for FD, just went south when I picked up the Spiritual Syllabus books and got perfectionism-oriented).

Hope some of this has been helpful to someone out there! Otherwise, I will just crawl into a hole by myself and implode. :-)

No comments: