Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wild Things

Apparently, there are some local experts in our area on foraging and they occasionally do nature walks and lectures. I would love love love to know more about this. It makes me completely nuts to realize that if the road between here and town were blocked I would have absolutely no idea how to survive. Does that make anyone besides me crazy??? Maybe I'm alone in this. Anyhow, I was thinking of putting up a page on my site with the area edibles and when they come into season. The Wild Things chapter says "Many delectable wild foods were purposely left out of this section to discourage widespread harvesting and the resulting negative effects on precious natural areas. Instead, this section focuses on a smattering of wild foods that are available seasonally either in farmers' markets or through CSAs." They include the following - watercress, dandelion, nettles, ramps, and sorrel. There is also a recipe here for stir-fried daylily buds!

I know that we also have here acorns, black walnuts, persimmons, and pawpaws. But it's handy to have a list of when they come into season.

Foraging (Botany Block)

No comments: