Saturday, February 27, 2010

Make Your Own Yogurt

A few weeks ago I decided to learn to knit socks -- I did -- and now I have become determined to master a new household craft. That is yogurt making! We spend about twelve dollars a week on yogurt from the grocery store right now and I want to make my own at home to save some money.

Here are the helpful websites I have found so far:

First, I had two cans of condensed goat milk so I wanted to make goat milk yogurt. I used the directions from Fias Co Farm with no success. I was trying the "keep your oven light on" method but my oven just got cold and the yogurt didn't YO. The first night I turned the oven light on and stuck in the heated milk/culture mixture and the second night I first preheated the oven to 300 and then turned the heat off and put in the mixture but the oven didn't retain its heat. So that was a no-go. I am including the link, however, because her directions seem good and if I had a cooler, heating pad, or food dehydrator I would certainly have tried one of her other methods.

Then a friend told me that you can make yogurt using your crockpot! I DO have one of those, so tonight I will try this Crockpot Yogurt Recipe. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

Rhoda said...

Okay, the CROCKPOT YOGURT is the best recipe ever!!!! Came out perfectly on the very first try. I use the 2% Fage Greek yogurt as my starter and a half gallon of organic milk from the store. Costs me about three dollars and fifty cents for a half gallon of organic yogurt!

This is a super-simple procedure and I can do it each Sunday afternoon after I get home from church and have plenty of yogurt for breakfasts and to pack in lunch boxes all week. We mix in fresh, canned, or frozen fruit or sometimes homemade jam.

12:30 pm
3:00 pm
6:00 pm
6:00 am

OR

4:30 pm
7:00 pm
10:00 pm
6:00 am