Saturday, February 13, 2010

Seeds for Your Dye Garden

I've just updated the Seeds for Your Dye Garden page for those folks about to begin the Preschool "Color" Unit.

Working on this webpage brought back a lot of memories for me. I did the Color unit with Natalie 5 years ago, right after Rebecca was born. (Those of you who have known me for the past five years through my curriculum writing, know that I wrote the Families unit to do with Natalie because I was pregnant with a new baby at the time.) Then, once the weather warmed up a bit, we moved on to a new topic. I picked planting a dye garden as the Nature topic for the Color unit because it fit so well with the idea of learning about Color and because I was interested in learning how to make natural dyes. I designed the Seeds for Your Dye Garden page because I myself was shopping for those seeds and wanted a list of vendors which carried them. I hope it's helpful to others who are now looking for that sort of thing, whether you have a preschool child or not!

There are now updated live links to vendors for all the dye plants listed in Rita Buchanan's excellent book A Dyer's Garden: From Plant to Pot: Growing Dyes for Natural Fibersand a link to an Excel spreadsheet which I created to keep all my information organized (which plants I ordered, when I started them, whether I like them and would buy them again, etc.)



No comments: