Saturday, July 17, 2010

Crafts Using Neck Ties

The girls recently came home with a craft that was a Snake made from a silk neck tie. I went online to try to find the instructions and found a BUNCH of craft ideas for old ties. Most of them are extremely tacky. But apparently quilters love ties because of the wide variety of patterns that are available. One woman posted on ThriftyFun.com, "I am collecting ties to make a quilt. My grandmother made quilts out of ties and they were beautiful. She would open up the ties and put them on a sheet and then the batting and back piece. I am 60 and have had one quilt for many years. My grandmother died when I was 10 so have had it for many years. My husband loves it on the bed because it is so warm and heavy."

Sounds nice!

By the way, I found directions for the Snake project on a craft website called Skip to my Lou.

So if you are hunting in a thrift store and find a nice silk tie (or you are the kind of person who is starting to make your Christmas gifts now), consider the possibilities.

Here's my absolute favorite idea:

One woman wrote, "I've done dyeing the Easter eggs using silk ties. Wrap the egg(s) in silk tie using rubber bands. Boil eggs for hard boiled eggs. The pattern on the tie will be on the tie. And I found that each tie will make 10 eggs." So cool!!!!



1 comment:

Eva said...

What neat ideas. I have to see if my husband has some old ties... Have you started "Four Children and It" yet? My children really liked it.