Thursday, September 24, 2015

Getting Started with Hydroponics

My husband turned 35 today.

He is interested in hydroponics, as a new hobby for this winter, so I got him some starter supplies. Not a lot! But you have to begin somewhere. I didn't buy any solution to raise and lower the pH though; you can use vinegar to lower the PH and baking soda to raise it. Put this in our Farming & Gardening notes!

We are especially interested in growing lettuces indoors throughout the winter. We may also experiment with a simple hay bale cold frame as well.


Best Seller Hydroponic LED Grow Light, TaoTronics Plant Grow Lights E27 Growing Lamp For Garden Greenhouse in 12w in Best 3 Bands Growing Combination (660nm and 630nm Red and 460nm Blue)

I was especially interested in the grow light because one of the reviewers said she tested it in the summer against her plants grown outdoors and the one under the grow light did better!


I have so many gardening projects in mind for the Winter and for next Spring as well. I'm really growing to love it as a hobby. My whole family gardens and I was always, as a child, thinking it sounded really boring. My paternal grandfather bred azaleas and my maternal grandfather was a Botany professor at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. My mom is an avid gardener as well. Now, I guess I'm joining their ranks!


I'm also really interested in the third grade topic of Housebuilding, even though none of my children are that age. But you're never the wrong age for an interesting hands-on project! I love the idea of building with cob... I love the idea of an earth oven... and I love the idea of a Tiny House.



The Hand-Sculpted House: A Practical and Philosophical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage



Build Your Own Earth Oven: A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven, Simple Sourdough Bread, Perfect Loaves



We also live right by Buckminster Fuller's stomping grounds... what a perfect chance to learn about the geodesic dome!

No comments: