Monday, February 22, 2016

Favorite Board Books - 9 Months Old

My little sweet pea, born May 23 of last year, is amazingly already nine months old!!!


From Pea to Pumpkin: A Pregnancy Journal


From Pea to Pumpkin: A Baby Journal
This journal is FANTASTIC; I like it a lot! Wish I had had the pregnancy one!



Favorite Board Books



illus. by Salley Mavor



The Carrot Seed
by Ruth Krauss



From Head to Toe
by Eric Carle



I Love You As Much...
by Laura Krauss Melmed



But Not the Hippopotamus
by Sandra Boynton



Guess How Much I Love You
by Sam McBratney



Is Your Mama a Llama?
by Deborah Guarino



Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
by Rod Campbell



Time for Bed
by Mem Fox
I met Jane Dyer in my Children's Literature class at Mt. Holyoke; she's lovely.



Goodnight Moon
by Margaret Wise Brown



The Snowy Day
by Ezra Jack Keats



Orange Pear Apple Bear
by Emily Gravett



I Am a Bunny
by Ole Risom



Wordless Picture Books


Baby Animals Black and White
adorable illustrations by Phyllis Limbacher Tides
Research has shown that infants best perceive high-contrast black and white.


Make up the story for your child; let your child make up the story for you! Wordless picture books are one of my favorite concepts. This is the book my husband is comfortable reading to our son... as a reluctant reader himself.




by Gerda Muller


Let me know if I missed one of your favorites! We all have well-loved books around our homes. Personally, I do NOT like a few of what we own. For one: The Very Hungry Caterpillarbecause a butterfly does not make a cocoon. It makes a chrysalis. Moths make cocoons. Seems like a silly little thing, maybe, but it really bugs me. And it would make Marie Montessori nuts.

I didn't like Tana Hoban's black & white book as much, but it would definitely make a great baby shower gift. The folding accordion panels are cool.


Leah is doing the cat family and ruminants this week, while Natalie starts her 13 Supreme Court Justices romp through U.S. History and Government. For dinner tonight, Baked Pork Chops and Apples, Stuffed Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Pistachios, and Natalie's jell-o salad Edible Model of the Animal Cell (her final activity for the human body). This consisted of two boxes of lemon jell-o and the following poked in at the halfway to jelling point:

    nucleus - whole cherry
    nucleolus - cherry pit
    centrioles - raisins
    mitochondria - pecan halves
    Golgi bodies - dried plums sliced in thirds with scissors
    lysosomes - cake sprinkles (round, colorful, flat disks)
    ribosomes - cake sprinkles (tiny, spherical, colorful balls)
    small vacuole - golden raisins
    large vacuole - piece of apple
    smooth & rough ER - dried dates cut into slivers

No comments: