Sunday, June 28, 2015

Ancient Phoenicia

I have been building up my Amazon wish list for next school year and was racking my brain to remember the title of the book my neighboring teacher read her class for Ancient Civilizations. She had wanted Ancient Phoenicia... and it's harder to find a story that takes place in Phoenicia than it would be to search for Ancient Egypt, Greece, or Rome. But she found one and it was excellent! Finally found a reference to it in this blog post from a homeschooler -- it is called Milad, the Voyage to Ophir.


Denise found it at the local library. I was searching on Amazon but, sadly, the U.S. version of Amazon comes up short on this one. It is available at Amazon.co.uk however.

In this book, Milad's voyage, and his adventures, give the student a good idea of the geography of the area and the time period. It would be perfect for your homeschool unit, if you can find a copy.

I love the color map of Ancient Egypt and the Sinai Peninsula and Mediterranean region which I found in the front of Gods and Pharaohs from Egyptian Mythology

I think it would be lovely to do this map of the area as a watercolor resist, using beeswax crayon yellows and reds for the desert regions and then filling in the Mediterranean Sea, the Nile River, and the Red Sea with blue watercolor paint.


Update September 25, 2016:
*NOTE* as of 09/25/16 two brand-new copies of this excellent book are available on eBay, shipping from Australia
I've also found a link to a teacher's guide (PDF)

No comments: