Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Sanctuary

Today we moved back into our home after spending four weeks at a battered women's shelter. Not something I ever expected to do in my life... but I am SO grateful that my four children and I are safe and that is ALL that matters.

Some books that are on my mind:


The Sanctuary Garden: Creating a Place of Refuge in Your Yard or Garden



Life-Changing Magic: A Journal - Spark Joy Every Day



The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom



Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men

This is a MUST READ


"Setting Boundaries is Essential to Your Empowerment"
blog post - Womb of Light


I will continue to post helpful resources here, as I collect them, and I welcome suggestions!

It's incredible. Here I am! I'm strong. I'm safe. I'm home at last. My four amazing awesome kids are snuggled in bed. And I'm looking at a 10 month old Australian Shepherd puppy sleeping on the floor by my leg as I sit at the dining room table -- a little love bug who is all worn out from his first day as part of our family -- and I can't help but think that life IS good after all.

4 comments:

Eva said...

I am so sorry to hear about that experience. Wishing you safety and peace.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. But so glad you are all safe. :)

Renee said...

Thank you! It's amazing to be free from fear, and enjoying doing simple things like driving a car or going to the grocery store.

One of my friends at the shelter asked for some suggestions for self-help books on Empowerment. I'm giving her You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment by Thich Nhat Hanh, The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are: Your Guide to a Wholehearted Life by Brene Brown, and Fly Like a Butterfly: Yoga for Children by Shakta Kaur Khalsa (for her to enjoy with her kids).

Catherine said...

So sorry this happened in your family. You are all in my thoughts. It is a very brave thing to share your experience here, thank you.