Sunday, July 18, 2021

How to Drive to New York

I'm working out the best route to the Fiber Craft Studio in Chestnut Ridge NY. I want a route which avoids tolls and heavy traffic (and, especially, I-95). Keeping my notes here so that I don't lose them!

It is worth noting that Google Maps gives a good toll-free direction option BUT will spend the entire time telling you that there is a shorter route. Literally, every 2 minutes. "To take the faster route, tap accept." So that's pretty annoying.


To NY from MD
toll free

take MD-4 N to US-301 N to I-97 N

take I-695 W to Baltimore / Towson

take exit 24 for I-83 N to York

arrive in York and take exit 19, stay straight through several traffic lights and then turn onto US-30 E (right)

take US-222 N to Reading and then on to Allentown

take I-78 E to Bethlehem

take exit 29 for I-287 N to I-80 / Morristown (stay to the left)

take I-87 S (New York State Thruway) to New York City

take exit 14 for the Garden State Parkway to New Jersey (don't freak out; there will be no tolls)

take the first exit which is School House Road to Chestnut Ridge


To MD from NY
$3.00 cash / $1.25 with E-ZPass

leave Fiber Craft Studio and turn R onto Hungry Hollow Road

turn R onto Chestnut Ridge Road

turn R onto Summit Avenue

turn R onto W Grand Avenue

merge onto NJ-17 N

take I-287 S to Morristown

take exit 21B for I-78 W to Eastern Pennsylvania *

pay toll at I-78 Toll Bridge over Delaware River (between NJ and PA)

take exit 54A for US-222 S

take exit for US-30 W / US-222 S to York

stay on US-30 W

turn L onto N Hills Road

turn R onto E Market Street

take I-83 S to Baltimore

take I-695 W to Baltimore / Pikesville which becomes I-695 S to Glen Burnie (stay to the left)

take exit 4 (on the left) to I-97 S to Annapolis

take US-50 E / US-301 N to Annapolis

take exit 22 to MD-665 E / Riva Road

take MD-2 S / Solomons Island Road to Edgewater

turn right onto MD-2 S


* if taking friends to Newark Liberty International Airport first, take I-78E to New York City, then take exit 57 for NJ-21 N toward Newark Airport

No comments: