Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Schoolroom... Again

I am planning our schoolroom again! :-) My house seems to constantly be in flux. This is mainly because we are finding out where the kids sleep best at each age, and Leah is currently in the downstairs hallway. She doesn't like to be in the blue room. The hallway is plenty wide enough for her mattress, and it is too small for any toys other than a few dolls and a pile of books which is the perfect amount for her. With a full bedroom of toys and furniture she gets really overstimulated. So she has settled into the hallway quite comfortably which leaves us with a completely empty blue room. And this is making me nuts!!! I can't stand unused space. After walking around the downstairs and evaluating (should I make the downstairs living room the school room or use the little blue bedroom) for what seemed like hours, I came up with a plan. I will use the blue room. We can put a locking doorknob on it so that Leah can't get in when she's supposed to be napping. It has a door, which the bigger room doesn't, so the pets can't get into projects with wet paint, etc. It is smaller and will be easier to keep tidy (a big draw). There's a baby gate across the hallway leading to it (which also contains a bathroom) so we can set ourselves away from the rest of the house to concentrate on our lessons, and still be able to get to a sink. But the main reason -- the clincher -- is that it is completely private. And I've heard of many families where the younger kids inadvertently picked up on their letters and math because of seeing and being around "school." I don't want that for my kids. When we are in first grade, and the LMNOP alphabet cards are decorating the schoolroom walls, I don't want Leah and Becca to see that. The room is blue, which is not ideal Waldorf-wise (see below), but it's clean and empty and ready to go, which gives it a lot of bonus points! And it will be easy to have set up before the "inspector" comes, if he does come, as opposed to the downstairs LR which is a big mess!

Official Waldorf Room Colors


I have Steve on Freecycle looking for coffee tables and low bookcases. If I ever get a schoolroom completely done, I promise to post pictures! :-)


No comments: