Friday, March 7, 2008

"You Look Strange"

Rebecca was combing my hair with her fingers the other day and I sat patiently and then when she was done I looked up at her, expecting her to say, "Mommy, you look beautfiul!" and she looked at me and instead she said, "You look strange." Ha! That's what I get for assuming that life is like the perfect pictures you see in the movies. I've been struggling a lot with letting go of my expectations for myself and just enjoying my kids. Today we took a nature walk, made butter, read stories, played pat-a-cake and piggy toes, and had fun! In the back of my mind I'm still chastising myself for the hundred things I didn't do... but then I realized that I have just got to let go of that stuff! Super Nanny this week was about a woman with seven kids (7 in 8 years!!!) and she was a ball of stress, wasn't enjoying being a mom at all and Jo put a huge sign on her wall -- instead of it being House Rules or anything like that, it was a reminder to relax, breathe, take a break, have fun!

The craze with my kids right now is construction equipment. This is a little out of my realm... does anyone have books to recommend??? Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel is the only thing I have on my shelves. We stopped at a bucket truck the other day and the men showed Leah and Rebecca how they climb up into the bucket. That was cool.

We are planning on setting out baskets of dryer lint today for the birds to use in their nest building.


The lovely dump truck we got from Rosie Hippos.

1 comment:

LillyZoo said...

For lack of a better resource Bob the Builder from the pbs series is all about building and equipment and most of the time they are green building or themed in environmental responsiblity.