Tuesday, July 27, 2010

3 from Beatrix Potter

Tomorrow is Craft Day and the girls are being asked to bring anything from home that they'd like to add to their collage craft -- which is a collage laminated to be a placemat. Luckily for us, in my alphabetizing of the picture books by author I discovered some duplicate titles. I love The Little Fish That Got Awayand Andy and the Lionbut we don't really need more than one copy.





Same goes with Beatrix Potter. I discovered that we had three duplicate titles. What perfect illustrations for the placemat collages! I had each girl choose a book and write her name on it with sharpie to take to the Community House tomorrow. I went to great pains to tell them that the books were extra copies and were just going to be given to the thrift store anyway (actually, 2 are pretty beat up and would probably have gone in paper recycling) so it is OK for them to tear out pictures and use them in their collages. I can't wait to see how they turn out; they should be so cute. Here is how it ended up:

Natalie - The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher

Leah - The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin

Rebecca - The Tale of Jemima Puddle Duck


By the way, Jeanette Winter wrote a nice, kid-friendly biography of Beatrix Potter that is interspersed with quotations from her diaries and personal letters, called simply Beatrix I got my copy from the bargain bin at the grocery store, oddly enough, but am so glad I have it because it's a perfect first introduction to biographies.



No comments: