Saturday, May 30, 2015

Slow-Cooker Steel-Cut Oats

Zachary was born at 5:57 a.m. on Saturday, May 23rd. One week ago today!

He was a healthy 9 pounds, 21 1/2 inches. No pain medication at all, but they did give me something for the nausea. My contractions were so strong and so close together that it made me feel really sick. They also gave me morphine after the baby was born. Wow!!!! We got there at 4 am (my water having broken at 2:30 am) and were at 4 cm. Baby was born less than 2 hours later. I freaked out when I found I had gone from 8 cm to 10 cm in three contractions and it was time to push. It was INTENSE. My husband was right by my side, though, and he was fantastic.

And I am happy to report, should anyone be interested, that I have been exclusively breastfeeding and it's going GREAT and he had already grown 1/2 inch at 4 days old, according to the very nice pediatrician. So hurrah!

So now I have a one week old baby snuggled in my Chic Papoose baby sling and I'm buying Smart Bottoms Smart 3.1 OS Organic All-in-one Cloth Diapers


(each time someone subscribes to the site I can buy one)

and generally enjoying life except for the fact that I never seem to be able to get breakfast. My husband held the baby today so that I could have a shower -- hot and lovely! -- but food still eludes me. I found the perfect solution though, and it's delicious. I really want to share this quick and easy fantastic recipe. And, actually, baby and breakfast is all that is on my mind!


Slow-Cooker Steel-Cut Oats

Note: This recipe fits my little 1 1/2 quart (the size that is $10.99) crockpot. It is the best size for breakfast.

Place all ingredients in crockpot and stir to combine:

  • 4 1/4 c. water
  • 1 cup Steel Cut Oatmeal
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 T packed brown sugar
  • dash of salt

Turn on Low and cook 7-8 hours.

No comments: