Thursday, July 16, 2015

Milk Bath

We've just added a hummingbird feeder and an oriole feeder to our yard. I know my Grandmommy would be thrilled at all my husband has done to attract wildlife!!!

We often set out nuts (in the shells) for our chipmunk, and Adam is making a squirrel feeder next to hold dried ears of corn. Even the deer walk through the yard each night to visit our bird feeders and lick seed out of them. And I'm pretty sure the raccoon visits our compost, although that one was not deliberate. We also planted more bee and butterfly plants this year: black-eyed susans and bee balm.

Hummingbird Nectar Recipe - Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center

The mysterious round green thing growing with our squashes is a pumpkin! It's turning yellow-orange.

But the actual recipe I wanted to share today is our Christmas present craft idea for this year. Each year we make a present en masse and the children choose who they would like to make the gifts for from our list of family and friends. We have been doing this for eight years. Borax crystal snowflakes, sock drawer sachets filled with silk and spices, lemon sugar hand scrub, soaps with dried lavender and crushed apricot seed, rolled and decorated beeswax candles, handmade star-shaped paper pulp ornaments with flower seeds embedded in them so they could be planted in the Spring, knitted kite bookmarks, wet felted "soap in a sweater" (that was last year's gift)...

Now we are going to use up all the dry nonfat milk powder I have in the cupboard. I was looking at our Burt's Bees Buttermilk Bath Soak

and saw that the ingredients are simply nonfat dry milk, whole dry buttermilk, and fragrance. I thought to myself, I bet we could make a bath soak with all that milk powder I have on hand. So I found a great recipe online, and since we have a large collection of essential oils, and lots of nonfat milk powder, we can easily make this gift with very little expense. (She chooses to use spearmint but we can use other options.)

The girls can choose their gift recipients and decide on what scent that person might like best. I think this gift idea will really work well!

Mint Milk Bath Recipe

No comments: