Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bob & Nancy's Order

I was the winner at the Bringing Waldorf Home silent auction of the $50.00 gift certificate to Bob & Nancy's Bookshop, waldorfbooks.com. Here is my tasty basket of literary delights:

Basic Sculptural Modeling: Developing the Will by Working with Pure Forms in the First Three Grades by Hella Loewe

Animal Legends: 2nd Grade Language Arts Block by Donna Simmons

Making Picture Books with Movable Figures by Brunhild Müller











I'm eager to see Donna's book. I quite like her Saints block and I am hoping to get a lot of use out of this one as well. The movable pictures book comes at a great time for me as well. Last time I taught the Fables, which was in a summer camp, I had wanted the students to each make a moving picture of The Fox and the Grapes. I wasn't able to think it through enough in advance to try it with the group, but it has always been in the back of my mind. Isn't this story just perfect for a moving picture?

Æsop. (Sixth century B.C.) Fables.
The Harvard Classics. 1909–14.

The Fox and the Grapes


ONE hot summer’s day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. “Just the things to quench my thirst,” quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.”


“IT IS EASY TO DESPISE WHAT YOU CANNOT GET.”

No comments: