Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sunday School Planning

I just got the call from the new S S Superintendent that I have been given the combined class of 1st through 5th graders.

Previously my class was 3rd/4th/5th grade and we used the Waldorf Old Testament Stories content. However, if I have first and second graders now (the church is diminishing in size) in my class, I will need to rethink.

Time to trot out the Bible Alphabet curriculum! I had an idea some time ago about, if I got handed the 1st and 2nd grade class, doing the Waldorf way of presenting the alphabet with Bible stories instead of fairy tales. So, for example, W is for Wave would come from Noah and the Ark. A larger class means more money for supplies so now I have to plan the Alphabet (I'll use Hurlbut's Story of the Bible -- available free from The Baldwin Project to guide my storytelling) and purchase lots of supplies. I'll be shopping for main lesson books, beeswax candle kits, modeling beeswax, and beeswax block and stick crayons. Good thing I just bought Coloring with Block Crayons Empahsizing the Primary Colors: A Manual of Coloring Techniques for Teaching to Children . I'd like to incorporate more Form Drawing this year as well. I have already chosen the end of year class play which will be a puppet show (using needle felted puppets) of Noah and the Flood. You can find this play by Eugene Schwartz free online in the Waldorf Clearing House Newsletter - Fall 1984 edition. This means felting needles and wool roving must be purchased as well. Sounds like a job for A Child's Dream Come True!

No comments: