Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blogs and Bird Logs

I was talking to some of the other teachers about the Paper Problem...

And I would just like to say, a blog solves all that!

As many little notes as you can possibly make to yourself about relevant books, museums, craft projects, or any other teaching idea can all fit on a blog AND IT'S SEARCH-ABLE. And you can have live links, which is handy if it's a museum that you'd like to plan a visit to or an online article that you want to reference. Not to mention easy and free. No technical expertise required. I have a website & a blog so I have organization options galore but anyone can start a blog. You can make it private so that no one but you can view it. Any time you find a resource, a link, or have a great idea in the middle of the night you can just create a post. And then you can find your idea later (which is the best part). So I am going to be holding a little workshop at my school for the teachers who are interested in getting familiar with blogger.

Here's a good example. When the teacher next door was unpacking her boxes she found these lovely little Bird Logs that she used about a decade ago. They are fabulous, especially since Audubon is our Artist Study for October. So I wrote down the ISBN and now I'm here looking on Amazon to see if they are still in print. And they are!!! Bird Log Kids: A Kid's Journal to Record Their Birding Experiences







But even if I hadn't been able to find a live link to the product, I still could have used this blog post as a place to write down the publisher name and contact information so I could try to track the journals down.

Adventure Publications
800-678-7006

No comments: