Saturday, August 28, 2010

Straight Line and Curve

It's time again for that perennial lesson: the first form drawing lesson. I use the indications in Form Drawing: Grades One through Four by Laura Embrey-Stine and Ernst Schuberth. I think it's the best text for laying out that first week clearly.



(Yikes! In creating this link I discovered that Bob and Nancy Parsons have redone their wonderful website for Bob & Nancy's Books, waldorfbooks.com, and that means that EVERY LINK I've created to their site is now out of date! The new site looks great though.)

I am gearing up for the new school year and have my stick crayons, large sheets of newsprint, sidewalk chalk, window crayons, and trays of cornmeal all ready for Form Drawing. I also think that a wonderful project to accompany Straight Line and Curve on that first day is to roll beeswax candles. It's a logical craft project for the beginning of the year, since we burn candles every day, and when you are doing it you are actually taking something straight and making it into something curved which I think is lovely.

No comments: