Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Dancing the Relationship Between Photosynthesis and Respiration

Today in our house, Leah is hearing the Octopus story from the fabulous Human and Animal Study Manual (95 page PDF) WRITTEN FOR THE EAST AFRICAN WALDORF TEACHER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM BY CATHERINE VAN ALPHEN, which I just found online and adore. You can also find the Octopus story from Live Ed's book for this block online as their free Sample Lesson from the book: The World of Animals.

Pagooby Holling Clancy Holling features Pagoo's struggle with the predatory octopus in its final chapters, chapters 18 - 20.

In terms of artwork for this animal, we are using the Octopus painting lesson from Painting in Waldorf Educationby Dick Bruin and Attie Lichthart.

I really like their lesson (pages 86-87) because it focuses first on the environment in which the octopus lives, something that Arthur Auer also stresses in his modeling book Learning About the World Through Modeling: Sculptural Ideas for School and Home

Thomas Wildgruber also gives an Octopus painting lesson on page 206, if you have that book on hand.


Painting and Drawing in Waldorf Schools: Classes 1-8


Natalie is beginning the Circulatory System and, in working with her, I remembered an old lesson that I had written up for a job interview, about creating an interpretive dance with my class showing the relationship between photosynthesis and respiration. I've found it and put it on my website's 8th grade Human Physiology page. It requires only one prop; although I included a description of the costumes which we sewed, they are definitely optional. The prop is a single chime, which signifies that a molecule of glucose has been made and oxygen has been released into the air as a by-product.


The file also includes a description of the dance of photosynthesis lesson which I did with my students. It is a great idea, although I can't take credit for it. I found it in In Search of Understanding: The Case for Constructivist Classrooms

This was a textbook for my master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction; the photosynthesis lesson was the most valuable piece of that book for me.

No comments: