To provide a background for our study of American Tall Tales I will also be incorporating some lessons in U.S. Geography.
Here are some quick bullet points as to what we are doing in the classroom. For more details on this main lesson block, please visit my Tall Tales page.
Monday, March 18
- finish Fibers & Clothing MLBs, read several fun knitting picture books
- work on Montessori classroom materials for U.S. Geography: Biomes
- Biomes of the World Mat
- North America Biome Puzzle
- North America Stencil
- North America Biome Cards - Elementary
Tuesday, March 19
- work on Montessori classroom materials for U.S. Geography: States
- play Elimination: A Game to Review U.S. States in teams of two
Thursday, March 21
- solve puzzles to practice U.S. Geography: State Capitals
- review punctuation rules for the comma when writing dates and addresses, review U.S. postal abbreviations for state names
- Word Search - U.S. Capitals
- Printable List of 50 U.S. States and Capitals (PDF)
also includes postal abbreviation for each state
- State Capitals Word Scramble
only gives the names of the capitals...
does NOT give the names of the states
- U.S. State Capitals Crossword Puzzle
only gives the names of the states...
does NOT give the names of the capitals
Friday, March 22
- continue to work on U.S. State Capitals puzzles from yesterday
- watch song for memorizing the 50 states and capitals (2:31)
surprisingly it's not obnoxious (thank you, Animaniacs episode 21)
I do have a PDF with the lyrics; the tune is "Turkey in the Straw"
- play State Capitals Bingo Printable Game
- use pp.15-16 of States and Capitals to take notes on the states and capitals of the Northeast (13 states, New England and Mid-Atlantic)
- read Captain Kidd and His Buried Treasure: A Story of New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and New England from Olive Beaupre Miller's Heroes, Outlaws & Funny Fellows of American Popular Tales, 1939
This post contains affiliate links to materials I truly use for homeschooling. Qualifying purchases provide me with revenue. Thank you for your support!