January 10 - Science Club Special Guest
- read Nefertiti, the Spidernaut: The Jumping Spider Who Learned to Hunt in Space by Darcy Pattison
- discuss the difference between adaptation and evolution
- interview Dr. Scott Hamilton-Brehm, Microbiologist at SIU, about the Timeline of Life and evolution (which came first: viruses or bacteria?)
January 17 - Science Club Field Trip
- visit The Science Center in Carbondale IL to help us choose our new Science Club topic!
January 24 - Prove It!
- Based on student interests, we began to explore Physics. I love the Science I CAN READ book Prove It! by Rose Wyler and Gerald Ames.
We began with the properties of water and a look at surface tension:
"Why Drops are Round," pages 6-7
look at our water droplets through jeweler's loupes
extra exploration: how many drops of water fit on a penny?
"Make a Needle Float," pages 8-9
explain how plants use surface tension in their vascular tissue
"Chase the Pepper," pages 10-11
add sugar to water/pepper without the soap first... does the pepper draw towards the sugar?
soapy water - weakest
plain water - strong
sugar water - strongest
This post contains affiliate links to materials I truly use for homeschooling. Qualifying purchases provide me with revenue. Thank you for your support!