Saturday, August 12, 2023

Grade 3 Local Farms

The Farming & Gardening block is a classic topic in Waldorf grade 3. But when you homeschool you can take the time to break it up into a Gardening block (which we are doing this year) and a Farming block (which we are doing next year). Zac's great-uncle is a farmer in Wisconsin and they've already talked about him doing a long visit up there to learn about the farm!

And we have tons of cool local farms by us in Southern Illinois as well. I'd like to start working on a list so I can plan field trips. Let me know if you know of others to recommend.

Speaking of local food, I feel like I also need to create a foraging list now! I'll just note that February is when you tap sugar maples, April is when you hunt for morels, and September is when the pawpaws are ripe!


May


June


Zac, age 4, picking blueberries!


August


Zac, age 4, in the zinnia patch with Black Bear


September


October


Zac, age 3, picking apples with his sister Natalie


We've also been to Rolling Oak Alpaca Ranch several times on field trips. Other places I'd love to visit include Red Gate Farm, a horse-powered sustainable farm in Marion!

No comments: