Saturday, April 9, 2016

Online Waldorf Teacher Training Certificate Program

Guess what?

I'm 
FINALLY 
FINALLY 
FINALLY 
going to do my Waldorf Teacher Training! 


I have wanted for years  (since I discovered that Waldorf Education existed... which was during my senior year at Smith College... which was in 1999) to pursue this in earnest but I never was able to do a residential program or even a semi-residential program.  I've looked many times at Antioch University, New England and the Great Lakes Waldorf Institute but, especially now with a new baby, it just seemed so far out of reach.

Then I learned through the Waldorf Today Newsletter that the Sophia Institute has a Waldorf teacher training program which is completely online and so I took advantage of my newly single status to ENROLL.  There are two tracks: Elementary/High School or Early Childhood. I picked the Grades.


I'm super-excited.

Super-super-excited.


Today I went to look at the coursework for semester 1 and was happy to see that the Art topics for semester 1 are Needle Felting and Storytelling.  I feel really confident about these since I've done so much work in both with Suzanne Down at the Juniper Tree School of Puppetry Arts.  She was the person who first taught me to needle felt and I well remember it... at the Washington Waldorf School... so awed to meet Carol Petrash, who was also taking the class... and I made Little Brown Bulb, a Snowdrop, a little Ladybug, and Lady Spring.  Lady Spring is sitting on my Nature table right now, and I am the happiest girl in the world thinking back to where I began on my Waldorf journey and where I am now.

I have to be completely honest and report that I initially thought the first beginning needle felting project was too simplistic (a ball or an apple) and part of me wanted to either try to opt out by sending pictures of my advanced work (I know that sounds awfully snotty) or just whip through it and move on.  Again, snotty!  But just because it's simple doesn't mean it can't be done in a thoughtful and careful way.  So I decided to ramp down the snottiness and take it as an opportunity to do something meditative and relaxing in the evening and remember that a plain project can still be beautiful.

So I am making the golden ball from The Frog King, or Iron Henry  and the two sided apple from Little Snow-White.  These will stand me in good stead later on.  And so I am looking forward this first assignment!

For those who are interested, here are the full details of the program I'm taking:

1st Semester (7 credits)
1. What is Anthroposophy? An Introduction (1 credit)
2. Foundation Studies/Core Studies I (4 credits)
3. Art 1 (1 credit)
4. Art 2 (1 credit)

2nd Semester (7 credits)
1. Anthroposophy in Everyday Life/Practical Training in Thought (1 credit)
2. Foundation Studies/Core Studies II (4 credits)
3. Art 3 (1 credit)
4. Art 4 (1 credit)

3rd Semester (7 credits)
1. Evolving Consciousness/Cosmology 1 (1 credit)
2. Waldorf Curriculum 1 (1 credit)
3. Human Development (1 credit)
4. The Four Temperaments (1 credit)
5. Education of the Child in the Light of Anthroposophy 1 (1 credit)
6. Art 5 (1 credit)
7. Art 6 (1 credit)

4th Semester (7 credits)
1. Evolving Consciousness/Cosmology 2 (1 credit)
2. Waldorf Curriculum 2 (1 credit)
3. Waldorf Methods/Sciences 1 (1 credit)
4. Waldorf Methods/Reading and Math 1 (1 credit)
5. Education of the Child in the Light of Anthroposophy 2 (1 credit)
6. Art 7 (1 credit)
7. Art 8 (1 credit)

5th Semester (7 credits)
1. Life Phases (1 credit)
2. Waldorf Methods/Sciences 2 (1 credit)
3. Waldorf Methods/Reading and Math 2 (1 credit)
4. Waldorf Administration (1 credit)
5. Waldorf Remedial Methods 1 (1 credit)
6. Art 9 (1 credit)
7. Art 10 (1 credit)

6th Semester (7 credits)
1. Waldorf Methods/Sciences 3 (1 credit)
2. Waldorf Methods/Reading and Math 3 (1 credit)
3. Internship/6 weeks (1 credit)
4. Waldorf Remedial Methods 2 (1 credit)
5. Art 11 (1 credit)
6. Art 12 (1 credit)
7. Final Paper/Research Project (1 credit)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exciting! A new beginning in this new season for you! Looking forward to your updates as you continue through your classes.

Yes, it can be good to step through those "simple" projects, even when it's attractive to skip over them.