Monday, September 27, 2010

Pangea Resources

I was looking for something else on the computer (isn't that always the way?) when I found these lovely resources for Pangea/plate tectonics/continental drift. 2 pdf files -- free. Use them to help your students find the current continents in the ancient landmass.

Pangea Matching Cards
Pangea Three Part Cards

The way this is done in Montessori is that you print 2 copies. For one, keep the "answers" with the pictures. Don't cut the line. For the other, cut on the line between the two. Give this second set to the child to match on his own. Then use the intact picture/answers for child to self-check work.

Another great resource is This Dynamic Planet: World Map of Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Impact Craters, and Plate Tectonics, produced jointly by Smithsonian, US Geological Survey, and US Naval Research Laboratory.

This amazing map is just $14.00 and it's HUGE. I use it in my classroom all the time.

Quiz: What was the name of the enormous ocean which surrounded Pangea?

The single enormous ocean which surrounded Pangaea was named Panthalassa.



By the way, on a completely different note, if you're wondering how the Green Smoothie experiment is faring, I do seem to have more energy! In the past four hours I made tonight's dinner, tomorrow's dinner, washed all the dishes from breakfast and from dinner, helped the children choose their outfits for picture day tomorrow, gave all the girls their showers and washed their hair, did my lesson planning for tomorrow, and am currently making chocolate chip cookies from scratch. I don't know if it's actual energy or the placebo effect but I don't really care, you know? Today's smoothie was kiwi, banana, and celery.

No comments: