Monday, November 1, 2010

Eat More Produce!

Yes, we all have goals. Mine is to eat more fruits and vegetables. Do I want to go so far as eating raw? Hmmm....




Who knows what the future may hold but there is no doubt that the produce aisle is holding my interest more than in years past. But I have a problem with Produce Bins in the fridge. Once food goes into them it becomes a serious case of Out of Sight = Out of Mind. So I thought, I will tape the grocery receipt to the side of the fridge. I will remember what I bought that way. Trouble with that (although it works well for budgeting -- if you don't go to the store until you have crossed off nearly everything on your cash register tape as being eaten, you often cut out quick trips to the store for things you didn't really need) is that we also have a CSA so it doesn't reflect all the produce that's on hand. So today I thought I will just hand-write a list of the produce and tape that to the fridge. Not eye catching though. I am on a mission to get rid of the ugly! I'm doing it in my classroom, I'm doing it in my home. Why not take a page out of MaryJo Koch's book and DRAW a picture of each yummy fruit and veg I've got on hand.




Not only will this be fun, and attractive, but it will force me to slow down and really look at my inventory. So tonight I got out the watercolor pencils.




I ended up with a beautiful drawing on my fridge and a pleasant feeling of being on my way to healthy eating! It also was a nice meditative way to spend a bit of time after the kids went to bed.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Hmmm... first thing I did after that drawing was make a Warm Beet & Spinach Salad. Looks like it's working!