Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cat Toy

I am quite enjoying our unexpected Snowy Day at home. I tried out a new hot-cereal-in-the-crockpot recipe, which turned out well. Grease a small capacity crockpot. Add 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain hot cereal, some dried cranberries, 3 cups of water and a bit of vanilla extract. Put slow cooker on low for 2 1/2 hours. Yummy.

We sewed sachets for a bit and then the girls went out into the snow. Leah is convinced that everyone in Kindergarten so wanted it to snow that they all went to bed with their jammies inside out and backwards and created this storm. Natalie is sick, which is lucky because I don't have snowboots in her new size yet. (By the way, if you are reading this on December 16th, Lands End is having a one day sale of $10 off a $50 purchase, perfect for buying those snow boots. The code is SANTA75 and the PIN is 4445.) I ordered her boots... next I have to order some hot chocolate. The best hot chocolate in the world comes in these nifty little tablets that you put in the blender.




Kids are going to have naps, then play outside again. When they get tired of sewing sachets and reading and playing board games in their downtime, I'm going to suggest that we make cat toys for my aunt's cat Quiz. In the past we have wet felted mice and rolled them in catnip but I am going to try the Cat Toy pattern from Last-Minute Fabric Gifts: 30 Hand-Sew, Machine-Sew, and No-Sew Projectsby Cynthia Treen.




We don't have catnip tea bags but we do have loose catnip that we can wrap up in tissue paper, for that enticing crinkly sound, or in cheesecloth bundles. I have some lovely thick hand dyed wool felt from Colors of Nature. I bought it at one of Rahima's conferences in Boulder CO. It's THICK and would be great for a cat. The other quick and inexpensive option would be to felt some wool sweaters from a thrift store in the dryer, then cut your squares out of that.

No comments: