Tuesday, August 11, 2020

A Busy August

I have a really busy August ahead of me! I'm thrilled in September to be starting a year-long puppetry certificate program with Suzanne Down, which will give me lots of new ideas and inspiration for working with Kindergarten.


I have also purchased a whole bunch of new teacher books which I'm excited about reading! I'll make a post of my favorite ones after they arrive and I've dived in. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the online workshops from Victoria Hackett at Outdoor Classrooms and the podcasts from Batsheva Frankel at Overthrowing Education. Since I'm in a list-making mood, here are the lists:


Overthrowing Education


Outdoor Classrooms 1 hr Workshops

    Get Outdoors!

    STEAM Outdoors with School Age Children

    "Pop Up" Nature Based Curriculum Using Loose Parts

    Transform Your Backyard into a Teaching Garden

    Explore the Natural World with Infants and Toddlers

    Let's Make Curriculum-on-the-Go Kits

    Children, Mindfulness, and Nature

    The Art of Mandala Making

    Let's Talk Birds: Easy Ways to Get Kids Birding

    Let's Talk Wildflowers

    Let's Talk Trees

    Let's Explore Sun, Light, and Shadow Play

    Mud Kitchen Madness

    Outdoor Icebreakers, Circle Time & Group Activities

    Sobel's Children and Nature Design Principles

    The Playful Teaching Garden

    Transition to Outdoor Learning

    Discover Habitats and Camouflage

    Plant Explorations (Aug 13 at 10:30 am EST)

    The Storybook Garden (Aug 18 at 10:30 am EST)

    The Square Foot Garden (Sep 3 at 10:30 am EST)

    Easy Recipes from Gardens that Feed (Sep 17 at 10:30 am EST)

    The Alphabet Garden (Sep 24 at 10:30 am EST)

    The 3 Sisters Garden (TBA)


    I love Victoria's work! I finally had to make her website a button on my Favorites page! She always leaves me feeling really inspired. It's a really therapeutic use of an hour (and $15). Most of them have already passed and you can purchase access to the recording, but some of them are upcoming and you can participate in them live!


The challenge of not being able to meet in person for my Waldorf Handwork teacher training turns into a year-long break that gives me an opportunity to dive deep into storytelling & puppetry training. The challenge of having to teach outside at a distance turns into an opportunity to become an educator with even more tools in my toolbox. Who knows? Maybe having an Outdoor Classroom will be something I never want to give up!

No comments: