This week and next we will be doing our second block of Old Testmanent Stories. This is a traditional Waldorf 3rd grade block and you can find lots of resources for it online. My Pinterest page and Jakob Streit's books available completely for FREE at the Online Waldorf Library (And There Was Light and Journey to the Promised Land) are two great places to start!
The biggest problem I find with the OT blocks is not resources... it's pacing. It is so hard to know how much to try to cover and how fast.
We did a lovely series of watercolor paintings for the days of Creation and it took our entire first 3 week block. I wanted us to slow down and do it well... but... now I'm stuck trying to finish the first book and jump into the second in a hurry. My goal is to get mid-way through the second volume but we will see how it goes. Today we started right after the Fall with the story of Cain and Abel. Jakob Streit's first book ends with Noah and the Flood. Book 2 is
- King Nimrod - The Tower of Babel - The Birth of Abram - Abram and Nimrod - The Confusion of Tongues - Abram Journeys to Canaan - Abraham's Tree - Visit of the Three Men - The Destruction of the City of Sodom
- The Boy Isaac - The Sacrifice of Isaac - Isaac and Rebecca
- Jacob and Esau - Isaac's Blessing - Jacob's Flight - Jacob in Foreign Lands - The Land of Canaan - Reconciliation
- Joseph is Sold - Joseph in Egypt - Joseph in Jail - The Pharoah's Dreams - The Years of Famine - The Long Journey to Egypt - A New Pharaoh
- Birth and Childhood - The Burning Coals - Moses and the Egyptian - Moses in Midian - The Battle with the Pharaoh - The Exodus - Mara and Sin - The Amalekites - At Sinai - The Ten Commandments - The Golden Calf - The Tabernacle - The Wilderness of Zin - The Bronze Snake - Bileam Shows Up Again
- Joshua Takes Leadership - The Unknown Grave - Over the Jordan - The Taking of the City of Jericho - In the Land of Canaan
SAUL AND DAVID
- Samuel and Saul - Saul Becomes King - The Shepherd David - Who Should Be the New King? - David and Saul - David and Goliath - In the Cave - The Death of Saul and Jonathan - David as King - The Great Assembly - David's Dream - The Psalms of David
To be honest, if I got to the end of this book at the end of block 3, and we never hit the last book in the series, I'd still be happy.
At the end of this week and next I'll post what we have done and the MLB pages, and I'll also add the MLB pages from this block and the one about Creation and the paintings to the website! Right now, I just want to go to bed. I did make up the menu for this week, so here it is. And then on to "Tired nature's sweet restorer, balmy sleep!"
My Aunt Carol sent me home with a bunch of spaghetti and butternut squash. You will no doubt see their influence below. That and my January WIC checks. I still need to find the perfect recipe for all those corn tortillas!
polenta, spaghetti squash, Easy Chunky Tomato Sauce
Peanut Butter Oat Bran Cookies
fruit 'n' greens smoothie