Sunday, January 31, 2010

Microwave Cherry Jam

Yesterday I found a recipe online for Microwave Jam. Here's how it goes:

10 oz. pkg frozen sweet cherries, quartered
(I used Cascadian Farm organic; it's easier to cut them into quarters when they are still frozen, by the way, so don't bother to thaw them first)
OR 1 lb. fresh cherries, quartered - to make 2 cups

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 tsp butter

1/4 cup key lime juice

2 inch cinnamon stick

Combine all ingredients -- except cinnamon stick -- in a 3 quart microwave safe bowl and microwave on High UNCOVERED for 15 minutes or until boiling. Boil ONLY 2 minutes.

Add cinnamon stick. Cool jam in fridge (mixture will thicken as it cools). Store in fridge or freeze for later use.

This was super simple and delicious! I had my doubts after I took it from the microwave and I figured, oh well, at least I have a nice cherry syrup. But it did thicken beautifully and my girls enjoyed it swirled into their hot oatmeal this morning.

No comments: