Sunday, April 6, 2008

Misc. Ancient History Questions

Here are some things that have been coming up as we progress through Ancient History and A Child's History of the World in my Sunday School class.

First, my students want to know about Hanukkah because we were debating whether the golden seven-branched candlestick that Titus had taken from the temple in Jerusalem after he conquered it was a menorah. This is from page 206 ("Blood and Thunder"). Answer: It is a menorah, it just isn't a menorah used for Hanukkah. Menorah (Temple). Here's the Arch of Titus including a close up picture of the spoils of war and the menorah.



Conversely, here is information about the Hanukkah menorah - Judaism 101: Chanukkah

Second, they want to know who is Pope right now and how popes are chosen. This is from page 218 ("In Hoc Signo Vinces"). Right now the Pope is Benedict XVI. Electing a Pope.

They want to know how all the different sects of the Christian movement branched from each other and what the issues were that divided them. I'm bringing in my pastor to talk to them about that! That's a little over my head. This is from page 217 of the same chapter.

Lastly, the Nicene Creed, given below in Latin. Here is the link to its English translation - The Nicene Creed.

Today we will finish the story of how Christianity made its way to Britain, which is where most of my students are from. That is the chapters "Our Tough Ancestors" and "White Toughs and Yellow Toughs Meet the Champions of the World". Today we make decisions about whether we want to use the script for our play about Daniel or have someone do a Bible reading straight out of the text and the cast of characters acts it out on stage and improvises dialogue. I had the students think about this last week and it will be interesting to see what they decide. They love doing plays and the only stress last year was learning the dialogue so I think this might be a good solution.

Yesterday I signed up with a new Internet provider -- Verizon Wireless -- and this allows me to take my laptop and use it anywhere I have a cell phone signal to get online, with no signing on or finding out a password. It is much better than a wireless router and a wireless card and I love it! This way I can collect all the links that I want to refer to and take my computer to church with me, review the information right before class, and have it at my fingertips.


Symbolum Nicaeno-Constantinopolitanum - Latin

Forma Recepta Ecclesiae Orientalis. A.D. 381

Credimus in unum Deum Patrem omnipotentem; factorem coeli et terrae, visibilium.

Et in unum Dominum Jesum Christum, Filium Dei [unigenitum], natum ex Patre ante omnia saecula [Lumen de Lumine], Deum verum de Deo vero, natum [genitum], non factum, consubstantialem Patri; per quem omni facta sunt; qui propter nos homines et [propter] salutem nostram descendit de coelis et incarnatus est de Spiritu Sancto ex Maria virginine et humanatus [homo factus] est; et crucifixus est pro nobis sub Pontio Pilato [passus] et sepultus est; et resurrexit tertia die [secundum scripturas]; ascendit in coelum [coelos], sedet ad dexteram Patris; interum venturus, cum gloria, judicare vivos et mortuos; cujus regni non erit finis.

Et in Spritum Sanctam, Dominum et vivificantem [vivificatorem], ex Patre procedentem, cum Patre et Filio adorandum et conglorificandum, qui locutus est per sanctos prophetas. Et unam, sanctam, catholicam et apostolicam ecclesiam. Confitemur unum baptisma in remissionem peccatorum. Expectamus resurrectionem mortuorum et vitam futuri saeculi. Amen.

No comments: