Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Personal Library Software

I am currently searching for a better way to organize my book collection notes. I need something that will allow for an infinite number of "tags", like Amazon has, so that I can note everything that I would use a book for in a unit. For example, When Clay Sings falls into the categories of Byrd Baylor, archaeology, Native Americans, and clay. I would love to be able to go to my database and search my books and get results in a way that actually works for the way I think!!!

Does anyone have recommendations?

If I find something good I will let folks know. I am currently testing the free trial of Collectorz.com Book Collector. I entered The Apple Cake, gave it tags of "bartering" and "recipe" (Tags are under Personal), and will now attempt to search for picture books which contain recipes. We'll see how it works out! Adding a book is easy, by the way. You just type in the ISBN and it searches online and pulls up the title, author, and a picture of the front cover.

Apparently, you can also convert your book lists to HTML so that your library can be put online, which is something I've been dying to do for the longest time. I just shuddered at the thought of entering all that time consuming data.

If you do the free trial (100 books) you can sign up for the newsletter to get a 10% off coupon. The product at its regular price is $39.95 and they do accept PayPal. Actually, I have a $25 PayPal coupon so I'm just going to go ahead and get this software. I am thrilled that they have tags, along with a ton of other features. And when I searched for recipe, the book came up like it should! It's also nice that the 100 books you enter during your trial get automatically moved over to your licensed version once you buy it.

So I have an official product to recommend -- hurrah!
Collectorz.com Book Collector

$39.95 - $4.00 - $25.00 = $10.95
(The $25 coupon from PayPal was because I used my PayPal credit card and earned points, it is very easy to get. You can also redeem points for free shipping on a PayPal purchase.)

No comments: