Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sea Rocket

While we were at South Beach for the bonfire on Saturday, a local expert in foraging pointed out a plant to me which was growing along the beach. It's called sea rocket and is a relative of mustard (I'm guessing this is "rocket" as in arugula). I tasted some. It did taste a lot like arugula! He said it's very vitamin rich and can be used in salads. But I have a friend who says that plants growing along our part of the Chesapeake Bay are actually heavy metal rich due to their proximity to the nuclear power plant and probably shouldn't be eaten. Anyway, I think it's cool to be able to forage and some day I'd like to take a nature walk with this expert and see what is in the woods around here, even if I never have the courage to eat anything! :-)


No comments: