Friday, November 18, 2016

A Quiet Friday Evening

We've been starting a new Friday evening tradition -- Fun Friday Dinner -- where people dress up according to a theme, we all come to dinner in costume, we vote on who has the best costume, and we eat dinner together and then play board games. Last week's theme was Christmas. Natalie was one of the Three Wise Men (complete with a wool beard and arms full of gifts), Leah was in her pajamas as a kid who refused to go to bed and wanted to stay up for Santa, Becca was all dressed up for a Christmas party, and I dressed in red and green and pinned all of their Christmas stockings to my sweater. Natalie won.

Our family board games last week were Quoridor and PicWits!.



For this week's theme we are all supposed to dress as aliens but no one had the energy to get in a costume or make-up and so we postponed to Fun Saturday Dinner. And we are having a quiet family evening. St. Nicholas Day wishlists are turned in (Hearthsong, Mindware, For Small Hands/Montessori Services) and emailed to grandmothers. Natalie is reading Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper, Leah is teaching herself (again) how to crochet and starting a Critter Cushion from Kids Crochet: Projects for Kids of All Ages, Becca is knitting a Colorful Mouse from Knitted Toys: 25 Fresh and Fabulous Designs, and I am knitting Zac a new washcloth. And for everyone who wants to know WHY I am making a washcloth when what I started knitting was the ribbing for the bottom of a new pair of toddler mittens, all I have to say to you is CHECK YOUR GAUGE.



Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton Yarn
641 True Red


Since the girls were born I got a board game or two for Christmas every year, so that when they were this age I would have a good collection without having to spend a fortune all in one swoop. This year I'm planning on getting Twister. My mom got them a board game this year too. She supported a project on Kickstarter by the people who made our Evolution Board Game. It's called Climate.

No comments: