Friday, February 3, 2023

The *Most* Compelling Early Readers

In Waldorf, we give children plenty of time for reading to "click" on its own, with tons of language support including -- but not limited to -- singing, movement verses, teaching through storytelling, and having children write their own unique books for every topic they learn about.

But, what do you do if it doesn't happen on its own? When do you intervene and how do you intervene?

For me, I begin explicit instruction in phonology and morphology midway through grade 2. I start with phonics-based early readers in January, and I do a Word Study block based around Structured Word Inquiry in March.

For more on Structured Word Inquiry, I strongly recommend checking out the work of Fiona Hamilton and Rebecca Loveless!

And the VERY BEST early readers I've ever found are at High Noon Books! They are written as a set of short books that leave on a cliffhanger, so you want to read the next one! Each series is a set of 12. The main character -- Zak -- is found throughout.

These early readers fit perfectly in ETC Montessori acrylic holders (this particular size is called Half-page Card Holder with Rack and they are each only $12.00). For me, all 8 sets in these holders fit below my chalkboard.

Here are the skills in set one, the Magic Belt Series.

    book 1 - The Man in the Mist
    CVC, CVCC

    book 2 - Ten Rocks
    CVCC

    book 3 - "Help Us!"
    CVCC

    book 4 - The Clam
    CVCC, suffix -ed

    book 5 - Crabs!
    CVCC

    book 6 - Crunch!
    < ch > and < tch >

    book 7 - Hush!
    < sh >

    book 8 - The Sixth Rock
    < th >

    book 9 - Golem of the Rocks
    < ck > and < qu >

    book 10 - Dung!
    < ng >

    book 11 - The Spitting Pot
    < wh >, suffix -ing

    book 12 - The Simple Plot
    < le >


Because these books are early readers designed specifically for older children, they are filled with appealing full color illustrations and major adventures throughout. No "I am a dog. I am a cat. I am a pig. I am a rat."

In the first series, Zac is age 10. Hogmen, river cats, bogs full of quicksand, crabs, rock dragons, goblins, a tramp, and more hazards pose obstacles in their quest to collect gems and save his dying grandfather. These books are really fun and they are compelling to early readers. Highly recommended!

1 comment:

Eva said...

Interesting, I had never heard of them. I have no beginning reader anymore, though.