Thursday, December 16, 2010

Uses for Old Christmas Cards

Lots of people have ideas about what to do with the Christmas cards you got last year. I saved ours, and was planning on cutting off the back side and using them as Christmas postcards this year, when I had another idea. Since there's no school today (Snow Day in Southern Maryland) the girls are sewing sachets while they wait for the flakes to begin to fall. As people finish sewing and begin stuffing their sachets with wool and spices, they are ready to wrap. We are using the saved gift wrap pieces from our Wrapped Advent Calendar to wrap the sachets and we are punching gift tags out of last year's holiday cards using the Creative Memories tag punch, the only scrapbooking supply that I've ever bought that I've used. But I love that little punch!

The cards have glitter on them, beautiful images, and they are printed on nice heavy card stock. Perfect for gift tags! We need two tags from the front of each gift card so they'll match in color scheme and design (a set of two goes on each package: to/from and a tag that lists what spices are in the sachet). I was delighting in being thrifty but the kids are having more fun than even I expected, because they LOVE to read the cards and see who they came from. Becca is dancing around the room, enjoying seeing cards from friends who love her! Leah is enjoying choosing the most beautiful designs to cut her tags from. (Natalie is in bed with a cold. So actually I'm glad to be able to stay home from work and take care of her, instead of putting her with a sitter.)


No comments: