Monday, September 10, 2007

Follow-Ups

Thanks to everyone who writes to me. It's really fun to be part of an online community. :-) I tracked down the Solid Waste Divisions Chief of my county to inquire whether recycling was mandatory for businesses in this county (as it is for a neighboring county, I found out) and if not, why not and what can be done about it. There's a meeting of the Calvert County Commissioners tomorrow morning at 10 am at the courthouse so if he says I have to go complain to them, I will do it. According to the county website, a landfill lasts 30 to 50 percent longer (before being used up and a new one must be built, costing millions of dollars) when people recycle, so it saves the county money in the long run. Not to mention creating more jobs and encouraging the development of businesses which use recycled materials. So we'll see what comes of that.

I went through my blog and realized that some people had written in with comments! I don't get an email or anything when this happens so I don't know it. So I want to thank Rebecca for posting the permalink to her directions on mixing watercolor paints, as well as all the other folks who wrote in with comments. Our chicken pox run is finished (still itchy, not contagious) so we are going to pick apples today. And I had someone write back in June about further reading on the Waldorf method and I don't think if I add a comment to her comment she will see it... so if she's still reading, here's what I recommend:

What is Waldorf? Waldorf 101 by the Waldorf Family Network

The Education of the Child in the Light of Anthroposophy by Rudolf Steiner

Notes on the Temperaments from my blog

Waldorf School FAQ answered by the River Song Waldorf School

Curriculum Overview from Marin Waldorf School

The Main Lesson Book sample page from Live Education! 2nd grade curriculum



If you read through all the articles and still want to learn more, I recommend going with

Ruth Pusch's books, either Waldorf Schools: Kindergarten and Early Grades or Waldorf Schools: Upper Grades and High School (both now happily back in print! pick the one that matches the age of your child)
if you're interested in curriculum

AND/OR

How to Know Higher Worlds by Rudolf Steiner if you're interested in inner work


No comments: