Friday, September 28, 2007

Materials List

Today I am getting organized for our list of Saturday projects. I don't have a babysitter all weekend (Steve is away working) so I have to make sure I have everything lined up in advance. Nothing ruins the rhythm of an activity more than having to all get in the car and go to the store. For dyeing wool, I need red cabbage (makes a blue dye) but already have on hand beets and yellow onions. For our lanterns (Earthways, p.33) I need to buy votive candles/tea lights but already have on hand construction paper and tissue paper. For our Michaelmas Festival and Lantern Walk, I have to buy -- or make -- and decorate a large pillar candle (5 cm in diameter or more, autumn color or white preferred) with a dragon, as shown on page 143 of All Year Round. There is also a Michaelmas story for children over 5 years in the back of All Year Round which I will do with Natalie Saturday night. It is called "The Far Country," p. 296. I've already purchased the bulbs for Sunday and we have apples for the applesauce. Going to pick our own pumpkins and mums is part of the fun so I don't mind that shopping excursion. :-) The mum farm we go to is so wonderful; you get a handful of flags and walk around the rows and choose the plants you want. After you mark them they will dig them up for you and put them into bags for you to take home and plant. Happy Michaelmas, everybody!

No comments: