Friday, June 5, 2009

Homeschool Planner

I used a lovely planner last school year which had lots and lots of room -- just lines across for each day, no column divisions at all (which I loved, so flexible). I used one side to write down the schedule of what we were doing that day as a group (Spanish 12:30, Reading Buddies 2:00, etc) and the other for which individual lessons I taught to which students. There's also space each day for reminders of appointments. ISBN 1-59198-129-8.




However, this year I think I want something more structured and so I am going with The Homeschool Planner: A Personalized Home Educator's Notebook by Joy Griffin Dent. It has lots of beginning of the year organization pages for field trip planning, service projects, the child's suggestions of what they want to learn about that year (she's a Charlotte Mason inspired educator), and so on. The planbook part is a 2 page format. The pages face each other. The left hand one has the following categories, with five columns for Mon-Fri:

Quiet Time (for Waldorf people, this would probably be Handwork)

Math

Language Arts

Read-Alouds (I particularly like that she includes this)

Foreign Language

Social Studies

Science

Nature

Art/Music

Physical Education


The other page has no divisions for days of the week and has these rows:

Spelling Words

Unit Study (for us, this will be the whole group lesson -- Montessori has Great Lessons) with a place for the topic and the follow-up books

Log Notes

Weekend Homeschool Activities (here is where I will make notes on what to recommend in my weekly parent letter for follow-up activities, field trips, etc.)


It's a very nice spiral bound planner. Several are available on Amazon for $7.99 and up. In the front, she gives this order information. I don't know if it's out of date or not but I'm happy to share it: Joy Dent, 1707 Old Hillsboro Road, Franklin TN, 37069. email: joylatrelle@bellsouth.net

1 comment:

Darcy Flynn said...

Bless your heart! I just came across this wonderful review of The Homeschool Planner. I hope you enjoyed using it with your children and that it brought you much 'organized joy' in your homeschool life. :)

When the cost of printing the planner went up, I had to stop printing it. There are still some for sale at Rainbow Resource but once they are gone, there will be no more.

I now write sweet contemporary romance novels. Keeper of My Heart is my first book and is available in e format and paper back. It's under my pen name, Darcy Flynn.

God bless and Merry Christmas!
Joy Griffin Dent aka Darcy Flynn