Monday, March 22, 2010

The Book Fairy

Guess what? The Book Fairy came to my house today!!

It happened tonight while I was at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts attending a workshop called "Books in Motion: Exploring Literature through Movement." When I got home there were 3 big boxes of books on my doorstep! A homeschooling friend had called a few months ago to tell me she was cleaning off her bookshelves and had some Waldorf resources she was no longer using & would I like them? Of course, I said yes. But I couldn't believe how much AMAZING stuff she sent me and I am going to be spending my whole Spring Break with my nose in these books. Actually, I had tears in my eyes when I was looking through the piles, I was so grateful and felt so truly blessed to get many resources for the grades I'm currently teaching -- 1st and 2nd. It was absolutely perfect timing for me as a teacher. I'm struggling to find my place in my current job, as I am feeling such a strong pull towards Waldorf but needing to honor the curriculum and method of my place of employment. This group of resources (many of which were on my wishlist of things I wanted to buy but couldn't afford) will help to affirm and re-inspire me and, hopefully, help me to do a better job of blending the best principles of each. Also, I set aside the early readers by Shelley Davidow for my Tooth Fairy box (I don't give my girls money, I do little gifts) so that my two older daughters with wiggly teeth can enjoy them when those baby teeth come out.

Ready to look through the stash with me?

Here we go!!


early readers by Shelley Davidow, published by Whole Spirit Press
(click on link to see sample pages and to purchase from the publisher)
Len Bug and Jen Slug
Jake the Snake
Sam Cat and Nat Rat
Ned and Fred
Tim's Boat

Oak Meadow Curriculum
Home Teacher's Process Manual
The Heart of Learning
First Grade Fairy Tales
First Book of Nature Crafts
Clay Fun
Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting

A Journey through Waldorf Homeschooling: Grade 1 by Melisa Nielsen of A Little Garden Flower

A Journey through Waldorf Homeschooling: Grade 2 by Melisa Nielsen of A Little Garden Flower

Spiritual Syllabus Journey to Numeria - Maths Teaching Class 1 & 2 by Alan Whitehead

Live Education! curriculum
Imagination, Story and Rhythm: Numbers and Arithmetic for the First Year
From Moving and Speaking to Writing and Reading
Nature Stories for the Second Year
Teaching Fables
A Collection of Fables
Teaching the Golden Legends
A Collection of Golden Legends

Developmental Insights: Discussions between doctors and teachers edited by David S. Mitchell

Education as Preventive Medicine: A Salutogenic Approach by Michaela Glöckler



Learning Difficulties: A Guide for Teachers Waldorf Insights & Practical Approachesedited by Mary Ellen Willby

On Reading & Writing: towards a phenomenology and pathology of literacy by Karl König



The Extra Lesson: Movement, Drawing and Painting Exercises to Help Children with Difficulties in Writing, Reading and Arithmetic by Audrey McAllen

Phonic Rhyme Time: A unique collection of phonic rhymes for precise practice in speaking and reading by Mary Nash-Wortham





The Giant at the Ford and Other Legends of the Saintsby Ursula Synge

Beasts and Saintsby Helen Waddell

Teaching with the Fables: A holistic approach; teaching with the fable as: extended tale, poem, illustration, play puppet show & natural science lesson by Sieglinde de Francesca







Colour and Healing: How Colour Affects Us by Gladys Mayer



The Little Series: Love compiled by Helmut von Kügelgen

The Little Series: Michaelmas compiled by Helmut von Kügelgen





Puck the Gnome by Jakob Streit



Tal: His Marvelous Adventures with Noom-Zor-Noomby Paul Fenimore Cooper

She also included a binder of notes and resources from talks at Sunbridge College on Preparation and Teaching for Grade 2.

No comments: