Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sweet Dreams

I want to write about the things that are working in our bedtime routine. Somehow I seemed to have hit upon the perfect quiet charming evening time with my daughters! And it was a real stroke of luck. As I posted before, my girls and I have been reading The House Above the Trees at bedtime. This is the first book EVER that has completely absorbed all three of my children (ages 5, 6, 7). They are completely still when I am reading. They don't move or speak a word. They are completely entranced. You can see them enter the world of the book or, rather, you can see the world of the book enter them. It's magical. We finish the last chapter tomorrow night and I'll be hard-pressed to find a book good enough to follow it!

After we finish our chapter and they pore over the illustrations, each girl draws a card from the box of Sweet Dreams: 36 Bedtime Wishes. I started this routine mainly because I found the box of wish cards when I was unpacking and wanted us to get more use out of them. But my daughters LOVE their wish cards. Each girl goes quietly off to her room to wait to be tucked in and looks at her illustration and reads the back. Then when I come in to tuck them in, we have a little quiet conversation. Always before they would bounce on their beds or sing loudly while waiting for me, but the wish card seems to change all that. It inspires a very peaceful reflective mood and I've had some very sweet moments with them. Listening to my 6 year old daughter reading John Keats was so dear. And the cards help give me some things to mull over at night when I'm finishing up my day, too. Especially if I am stressed out... I find they give much-needed perspective, like this quote from Mother Teresa:


It is not how much we do, but how much love we put into doing.






By the way, while creating this post, I discovered that Chinaberry has made an exclusive audio recording of this book. If you are looking for Ethel Cook Eliot on CD, here it is!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

Thanks so much for referring to Chinaberry! I work there and am notified whenever kind souls like you mention something you discovered at Chinaberry.

I loved reading about your bedtime routines. Although my boys are teens now, they still like a hug and kiss at bedtime. In fact my younger son really loves hanging together at bedtime and I appreciate it so much, knowing there may be a time soon when we won't have that sweet time.

I also wanted to mention that we have our own blog at Chinaberry now: blog.Chinaberry.com. We hope you check it out. You're welcome to pass the word and even link to our blog if you find it helpful.

Hope you discover other wonderful books for bedtime and continue your magical night time routine.

Best,

Sheila from Chinaberry
www.Chinaberry.com
blog.Chinaberry.com