Saturday, March 14, 2015

Party Prep

My house is humming as we run around getting ready for the birthday party tomorrow. We don't usually have a party but 13 is a big deal! The Art Party idea was a hit, Evite saved me on organization, and we have six little girls coming over on Sunday. In lieu of a gift everyone was asked to bring an art material to share; whatever they make will be their party favor. So easy!!!!

We inventoried the existing art/craft materials and only bought five supplies: additional paintbrushes, tubes of watercolor paint, drawing paper, charcoal, and three bottles of glue.

What we had on hand:


I'm making two cakes, one Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and one Busy-Day Dump Cake (also called "Wacky Cake") which is vegan. We have a dairy-free child coming. I'll also make a fruit platter since we have apples, bananas, oranges, kiwi, mango, and a pineapple.


P.S. If you are doing work with just the Primary Colors, A Small Green Footprint sells the Carmine Red, Lemon Yellow, and Ultramarine Stockmar block beeswax crayons individually. This is what I did for my classroom. Every child got a primary set in 1st grade and they each sewed a small felt crayon pouch, with dividers to keep the 3 colors from marking on each other, at the beginning of the school year. I simply gave the children each a different color of 9" x 12" wool felt from Magic Cabin which I had cut in half (9 inches by 6 inches). Then I had them fold it in thirds. The crayons went in the fold (so the pouch was 6 inches wide, with two inch wide compartments for each color), with the sides being sewn shut as well as the two dividing lines between the colors (we simply marked on the felt with white chalk to show them where to sew) and the top third folded over as a lid and we sewed a snap on to keep it closed. I put them in a basket and passed them around when it was time for block beeswax drawing. I'll see if I can find a picture to post...

No comments: