Thursday, August 21, 2008

More Thoughts About Tomatoes

Today I am dealing with the tomato bounty from Clagett Farm. A delightful task! One of the women who I met at pick up shared that her mother always used to wash the tomatoes and freeze them whole in their skin. In the winter she would add to sauces. So I have a piece of parchment paper spread out in my freezer and a dozen or so tomatoes enjoying the frosty chill. I have 6 pounds of tomatoes in the crockpot, trying out a tomato sauce recipe I found. You add some olive oil and chopped garlic to the bottom of the crockpot, stir, and cook on High for 15 minutes so the garlic gets slightly brown, then add your chopped tomatoes and some veg broth (a few teaspoons), dried oregano and a sprinkle of sugar. Cook on Low for 3 hours then season with fresh basil and salt and pepper.

No comments: